The father-son duo of Jagadish Prasad Agrawal and Ananda Bagaria started their business journey with Global Writing, a manufacturing company that produced ball-pens in the late nineties. But the company failed and the father-son duo had to think of something else. Eventually, they moved into livestock feed supplements that brought them tremendous success in a short span.
In 1998, they founded Nimbus Holdings which initially focused on the import and distribution of consumer goods such as confectionary items and later moved into the import and distribution of soya cakes and maize. This shift towards the agribusiness sector led to the formation of Nimbus International in 2000. In its initial days, the company imported animal vitamins, vaccines and medicines from US and France-based MNCs. As experience about animal health and nutrition broadened, Nimbus International started a plant producing feed supplements. In 2004, the group established Probiotech Industries, the first pellet feed manufacturing unit in Nepal. The move was a turning point for the business group whose animal feed brand ‘Shakti’ started a gradual takeover of the market and today enjoys tremendous market share in Nepal. Probiotech is also the producer of Byanjan and Sunaulo Kiran edible oil brands which are gradually building their position in the market.
Following the success with animal feed, it was time for the group to expand their footprint into other business activities. National Polyplast, a company that manufactures poly woven fabrics was established in 2000 and was later renamed as Progeochem Industries. The group further expanded into the LPG business by acquiring Samriddhi Gas Udhyog and Nepal Gas.
Today, Nimbus is a leading agri-business company of Nepal that has strongly leveraged its distribution network in expanding the outreach of its products. Nimbus also aims to expand its Nimbus Krishi Sewa, a one-stop agri-centre, throughout the country that already has a presence in Kathmandu, Narayanghat and Birgunj.
Ananda Bagaria is probably the only business person among the leading business houses of Nepal who does not see a problem in turning his company public which he plans to do in the immediate future. Bagaria believes that businesses aspiring to grow should deal with their fears over public shareholding and open up to the public.
- IFC and Global Agriculture and Food Security Program (GAFSP) invested USD 3.8 million in equity financing in Probiotech Industries in 2014.
- Holds around 25 percent of the market share in the feeds industry
- Annual Turnover: Rs 7 billion
- Net Worth: Rs 6 billion
Key Revenue Generator
- • Animal feeds and agri-processing industries
- Chemical industries - To go into production of water based paint raw material.
- Agro-processing:Grain Warehousing,Grain Resheet financing and Grain Banking
- Plastic Packaging: Planning to bring state-of-the-art technology for cement, grain and bags for end user customers.
- Processing: Pulse Mills and other ready to eat healthy snacks.
- 800 people