May 23: The government had promised to complete the long-awaited Melamchi Water Supply Project during the festival of Dashain last year. However, the project is unlikely to finish by the time of upcoming Dashain as well.
The government hasn’t initiated any process to restart the project work which came to a halt some five months ago after the Italian contractor CMC di Ravenna unilaterally pulled out of the project. The government says that only 5 percent work is left to complete the project which intends to supply water to the capital.
It is said that the line ministry is preparing to table a proposal at the cabinet to complete the remaining tunnel work of the project. But it is still uncertain when the Ministry of Water Supply and Sanitation present the proposal to the cabinet and what decision will the council of ministers take.
A source at the ministry told New Business Age that even if the cabinet decides to appoint a new contractor at the earliest and the remaining works are carried out in war-footing, it will still take at least a year to complete the project.
The project which started two decades ago is yet to complete.